OFA President Drew Spoelstra (pictured), on behalf of the organization, was pleased to have the opportunity to share the voice of Ontario’s agriculture sector at a panel at the 2024 Provincial Budget Consultations hosted by MPP Steven Crawford, the Parliamentary Secretary to Ontario’s Minister of Finance.
OFA brought forward messages around critical infrastructure for Ontario agriculture and rural communities, ideas of how to attract additional investments to rural Ontario, creating jobs and cutting red tape for farmers.
OFA looks forward to working closely with the Ontario government to deliver these necessary investments and programs for the benefit of Ontario’s economy and all its citizens.
In its formal submission to government, the OFA outlined five key areas in rural Ontario where the province can stimulate the economy:
- Promoting and protecting Ontario grown food by addressing labour shortages and providing funding for Ontario’s Risk Management program.
- Modernizing Ontario’s Farm Tax Programs and ensuring Development Charges do not disproportionately impact Ontario’s farmers.
- Investing in rural and social infrastructure.
- Continuing to invest in a provincial soil health strategy and water stewardship program.
- Improving access to veterinarian care in rural and northern Ontario.