The Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA) recently conducted an OFA member survey on Farm Business Advisory Services. The farm management survey was developed in an effort to assess the availability and usability of farm advisory services offered by the government and the private sector. The online survey was completed by more than 700 OFA members.
Here are some of the key highlights from the survey.
- 89% of OFA farm businesses pay for an accountant
- Over 50% pay an accountant to fill out AgriStability paperwork
- 20% pay an accountant for financial analysis to assess their farm business
- More than 35% pay an accountant to assist with their HST return
- 34% pay an accountant to assist them in calculating the value of their farm business
Farm Advisory Services
- 18% pay an advisor for developing or implementing a farm succession plan
- Less than 5% pay an advisor for developing or interpreting land rental agreements
- 6% pay an advisor to help with developing a farm business plan
- Only 2% pay an advisor for HR policies and labour recruitment
Government Extension Services
- More than 20% of members rely on information or assistance from OMAFRA on filing paper work for AgriStability
- 13% rely on agronomical information from OMAFRA
- 16% rely on cost of production numbers produced by OMAFRA
- Over 60% do no rely on OMAFRA for any services or information
The survey results will be used in an effort to work towards ensuring Ontario farmers receive better advisory services, from both the government and the private sector. The OFA appreciates the time our members take to complete our surveys.
If you have any questions about this survey, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.