OFA provided recommendations on Growth Planning and Implementation in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. OFA recommendations aimed to:
- Curb urban sprawl and low-density development by implementing fixed, permanent urban boundaries and mandatory greenfield and intensification density requirements.
- Clarify and refine the Natural Heritage System by groundtruthing and providing clearer language that the Natural Heritage System, particularly linkages, corridors and buffers should be interpreted as an overlay.
- Align language in provincial plans with the Provincial Policy Statement (suggestions provided in appendix).
- Simplify oversight of the Niagara Escarpment Plan by moving its governance under the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing alongside the other provincial plans and dissolve the Niagara Escarpment Commission.
- Stimulate growth beyond the Greater Golden Horseshoe by targeting smaller communities for infrastructure and investment to distribute economic development, reduce congestion and growth pressures in the GTA.