Calendar of Events
Use our interactive events calendar to find out more about upcoming agricultural events across the province.
Making the Most of Manure: Industry-wide Workshop
January 26 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Under a new project funded by OMAFRA, Farm & Food Care Ontario (FFCO) has partnered with the Ontario Professional Agricultural Contractors Association (OPACA) on a project titled Making the Most of Livestock Manure 2022.
This project explores and tests the latest science to improve manure handling, storage and application systems. The project will work with interested commodity groups, researchers, applicators, equipment suppliers, storage builders/designers and farmers.
The project will identify opportunities to improve current systems, explore innovative technologies and promote practices that can be broadly adopted by the industry into the future. These outcomes will be highlighted in a video series and shared with industry by the winter of 2023.
To kick start the project an industry-wide workshop is planned for January 26, 2022, 10:00 until noon.
This workshop will discuss:
- What parts of our systems could be made more efficient: liquid, solid, compost, storage, processing, application?
- Are there new ways to store, handle and apply manure that can make it more valuable or more efficient?
- How can we reduce nutrient loss in storage and application?
- How can we manage soil compaction issues with equipment?
- How can we reduce greenhouse gasses released during storage and application?
- Are information gaps or misconceptions blocking our path to improved practices?