The Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA) is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual to join our team in the full-time temporary position of Farm Policy Analyst.
The position is ideal for a candidate looking to share their knowledge and recommendations with respect to agriculture economic development policies and initiatives.
The Farm Policy Analyst will contribute to the organization’s development, awareness and advocacy of sound OFA policy positions by providing background analysis on agriculture economic development policy matters affecting Ontario agriculture, as well as providing individual members with hands-on assistance and/or advocacy in the resolution of farm-related issues. The Farm Policy Analyst will also be called upon to present their analysis and information directly to the OFA Board of Directors and other interested audiences.
Who is OFA?
OFA is the largest general farm organization in Ontario, proudly representing 38,000+ farm family members across the province. OFA is a trusted, producer-led organization that works to represent and champion the diverse interests of Ontario’s agri-food sector and rural communities. Our work includes government relations, farm policy development, research, lobby efforts, community representation, media relations and more. We have a strong voice for our members and the agri-food industry on issues, legislation and regulations governed by municipal, provincial and federal governments.
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Policy Development, Awareness and Advocacy:
- Conduct analysis of existing and proposed agricultural economic development policies to assist OFA’s Board of Directors to set sound policy positions.
- Contribute in-kind expertise towards meeting OFA’s in-house and third-party project commitments.
- Present analysis to the OFA Board of Directors and other interested audiences, including OFA’s Policy Advisory Council.
- Prepare letters and submissions outlining OFA policy positions to officials at all levels of government.
- Persuasively represent OFA and Ontario farm perspectives on agricultural economic development initiatives to government, regulatory bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and analyze current and emerging issues related to assigned policy
- Contribute to the development of OFA member surveys about policy
- Prepare letters to county and regional Federations of Agriculture with respect to OFA Board decisions on policy resolutions submitted to OFA.
- Work with OFA members, county and regional Federations, OFA’s Policy Advisory Council, and commodity groups to provide information on OFA policy positions and collect their feedback.
Member Service and Information:
- Identify, evaluate, monitor and promote programs and policies that enable profitable and sustainable farming.
- Manage various OFA programs and initiatives that serve members and further agricultural economic development objectives.
- Provide information and advice to OFA members on government policies and programs through presenting at meetings, preparing fact sheets, preparing website content, attending agricultural trade shows, and answering telephone and email enquiries.
- Assist OFA members who are facing complex challenges or issues related to government legislation, policies and/or program requirements.
- Communicate and explain agricultural economic development opportunities from an OFA perspective to a range of audiences.
Collaboration and Teamwork:
- Assist fellow OFA staff in a timely manner to ensure OFA delivers an outstanding level of service to OFA members.
- Collaborate with government officials and others to facilitate understanding and awareness of issues.
- Build and maintain a broad network of industry contacts to facilitate understanding and awareness of agricultural economic development initiatives.
- Work with OFA’s commodity group and association members as OFA staff liaison.
- Liaise with internal and external partners to deliver on project objectives and outcomes.
- Participate on or liaise with external committees and/or working groups and other industry agencies as necessary to further OFA policy objectives related to agricultural economic development.
- Identify and propose suggestions aimed at improving OFA’s operations and enhancing OFA membership.
Education and Experience:
- Ten (10) years of relevant work experiences or completion of a university graduate degree in economic development, business, rural extension, or a related discipline;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of Ontario agricultural production.
- Experience serving farm business clients.
- Appreciates and understands issues facing Ontario farmers and rural communities.
- Demonstrates the ability to promote business environment enhancements that enable profitable and sustainable farming;
- Knowledge of agricultural economic development programs and policy initiatives in Ontario;
- Demonstrates understanding of policy decision-making processes;
- Superior research, problem solving, facilitative and organizational skills;
- Ability to quickly assess issues and gather, assimilate, analyze, and communicate policy information on a broad range of subjects affecting Ontario agriculture.
- Knowledge of government operations, structure and the public policy process at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.
- Capacity to retain knowledge about OFA policy positions.
- Exceptional written, listening, and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates skill in writing research and/or business proposals for funding;
- Demonstrates a high level of attention to details and accuracy in the accumulation and transfer of information.
- Demonstrates discretion and adheres to confidentiality in handling delicate or complex situations.
- Ability to work effectively unsupervised as well as collaborates within an active team.
- Ability to set, manage and adjust competing priorities to meet tight timelines.
- Valid Class G Ontario Driver’s License with access to a reliable vehicle.
- Bilingual (French and English) language skills are considered an asset, but are not a requirement, for this position.
Accountability, Adaptability, Communication, Critical Thinking, Networking and Relationship Building, Problem Solving, Research, Service Orientation, and Teamwork
- Will work from the OFA Head office in Guelph, Ontario.
- Usually works a standard 35-hour work week. (8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday)
- Will be required to work flexible hours (evening and weekend) to attend meetings or events and functions.
- Will require some travel and time away from home.
12-month full-time contract position:
- Possibility of an extension in contract.
- Salary range ($55,000 – $60,000 annual).
- Flexitime in contract role – RE: meetings, appointments., etc.
- Sick time accrued monthly.
- 2-week vacation (pro-rated).
- Successful candidate can apply to internal postings during your contract.
Applicants may submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence to email@example.com no later than February 6, 2023 at 4 pm. (Late applications may be accepted.)
We wish to thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those who will be considered for an interview will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity within our workforce. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with disabilities act, 2005 and Disabilities Act of Canada, upon request, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Please note that we only recruit individuals who are legally entitled to work in Canada.